Bicycle rides are a terrific way to save money on your daily commute and get some valuable cardio. However, there are also some risks associated with riding bikes, one of the biggest dangers being other drivers’ difficulty seeing bicycle riders. A bicycle crash can happen in the blink of an eye, and can be more life threatening than a vehicular collision due to the rider’s lack of protection. Before you set out, it is important to know what to do after an accident. Understanding what you must do can preserve important evidence and help you protect your rights.
- Wait for police to arrive. Call 911 if no one else has and let them know there has been a bicycle crash. Do not leave before you speak to the police, especially if you feel you have been injured. Some injuries may not become obvious until some time has passed. Leave your bike in the same state and position it was in after the accident if possible.
- Do not attempt to negotiate with the other driver involved. While they may apologize and seem contrite, it is best to allow the police to handle gathering statements and information. Some drivers may attempt to accept the blame for the bicycle crash at first only to change their story later. Similarly, do not accept blame, even if you feel you are at fault.
- Provide clear facts and your version of events to the police. Do not editorialize or speculate on who was at fault for the bicycle crash. State the events of the accident as you saw them and allow the police to document this. Also state traffic and weather conditions.
- Gather and save contact information. This includes from the driver, from witnesses who saw the crash, and from the officers who respond to the call.
- Take pictures. Take pictures of any vehicle(s) involved, your bicycle, and the surroundings. Save these and store copies in cloud storage.
- Seek medical attention. If you have urgent wounds, the Urgent Care or emergency room is your best bet. Medical records provide proof of the injuries caused by the bicycle crash. Even if you did not feel you were seriously injured, see your doctor as soon as you can.
- Get help from a professional. If you are seeking compensation for your injuries, medical bills, and lost wages, you will require expertise from a professional. Contact a personal injury attorney that you can trust – like Steven A. Bagen & Associates.
Steven A. Bagen & Associates Can Help
If you have been injured in a bicycle crash and wonder if you have a case for monetary recompense, you need an attorney with experience in the field. Steven A. Bagen & Associates has been representing Florida’s injured for over 35 years and exclusively handles personal injury cases. Contact us today for a free evaluation of your case!