The complexities of insurance policies could confuse anyone. While some policies cover certain types of damage, other policies will not touch a particular type of damage. Worse, the names of some policies might lead you tobelieve you are covered when, in fact, you are not covered.
This is particularly frustrating when you want reimbursement for car repairs in case of an accident. You may need to involve a personal injury lawyer when you need to collect your due from a property damage claim. An experienced property damage attorney can make all the difference when it comes to receiving fair compensation.
What Are Property Damage Claims?
Vehicle accidents cause several types of damage. The most important is the personal injury claim, which helps you recover for your injuries and other health issues that stem from an accident. But when it comes to car repairs, the property damage claim will be the one that helps fix the damage that was done to your car.
Property damage claims don’t only come into play when you are in a car accident on the road. They also help you repair your car if a driver hits your car when it is parked, or if your vehicle slips out of control and damages lawns, houses, mailboxes, or other property. You should always carry insurance that covers property damage.
What You Should Expect
If you need to make a property damage claim, you should follow certain steps to ensure the process proceeds smoothly.
- Report your accident to your own insurance company, even if you will need to file with the other involved party’s insurance as well. Your insurance company may require that the claim for your car repairs goes through them.
- File your claim with the other person’s insurance company. Remember to state only facts without opinion or color commentary.
- Do not worry about obtaining estimates for car repairs until asked to do so. Your insurance adjuster will discuss this with you. Either they will arrange for a specific location to perform this estimate, or they will send someone to inspect the damage themselves.
- Insurance companies will suggest repair facilities to do the work. You are not required to utilize their suggestion for car repairs, but this may mean you need to negotiate a settlement if the repair costs climb higher than the estimate.
- If your vehicle was totaled in the accident, you should be entitled to the market price of your vehicle before the incident.
- Your claim should cover the cost of a rental vehicle to use while your own vehicle undergoes car repairs. File this claim sooner rather than later. Note that if you are filing a claim with your own insurance, you can only claim this reimbursement if you purchased this type of coverage.
- An insurance company may send you a check as soon as the claim is settled. The check may also go to the repair facility performing your car repairs.
- It is possible you may be asked to sign a release before a check is given to you. Be certain an attorney is present to ensure you are not waiving vital rights.
Call Steven A. Bagen & Associates to Protect Your Rights
If you have a property damage claim, contact Steven A. Bagen & Associates today. Our experienced attorneys can help you receive what you are entitled to. We can help you ensure you can make the car repairs you need without giving up important rights in the process.